Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Sheba's Weekly Wine Blog: Riesling is sooo Pleasing!









When I first started drinking alcohol,
I would only drink sweet stuff.
Wine coolers, and sweet wines.
It wasn't till I had a extensive introduction
to Italian wine that I started to like dry,
robust wines. Then, like a bitter step child
I started to hate all wines that were too sweet.
Rieslings and Gewurtraminers were the
worst victims. See, it wasn't really
Rieslings fault. Rieslings are complex
fruit forward wines, that with the right
balance of acidity can be tasty, and pair well
Chinese and Thai food. Why care
about rieslings? Because they come
in as many styles as Gucci makes
clothes. Dry, off, dry, sweet, ice wine
etc.

But, so many Rieslings are too sweet.
That's right. I said it. Too Sweet.
Wine makers are crafting wines that
taste like juice. But Rieslings from Alsace
are different. Alsace is region of France's
northeastern border with Germany.
The cool, crisp weather of the region brings
the perfect balance of sugar and acidity to
the grape. Washington state is also known
for its Riesling. With warm days that
produce tons of sugar in the grapes, and cool
nights to bring acid,
Washington state Rieslings are some of
the best. When I taste a well balanced
Riesling my tongue dances with delight.
So, I'm over my grumpy attitude and once
again can enjoy my bitter with the sweet. : )



The last Thursday of the month is
Wine Flight Club at Faire Gallery Cafe.
This month is Riesling. Taste 4 Rieslings for
$15.00 while DJ Intuition
spins the beats.
It is the ultimate wine tasting party.

Thursday June 26th
8:00pm - Midnight
Riesling


No comments: