Monday, June 9, 2008

Sheba's Weekly Wine Blog: Rose' made a believer!!!


This is my first venture into the blog world. As many may know, Faire Gallery Cafe strives to make wine drinking and knowledge accessible. So, this weekly blog will focus on the fun of learning and discovering wine.
I am primarily a red wine drinker. I like robust wines with tons of complexity. I want wine that is like a good book, worth discovering over and over again. White wines can do this for me. But I don't find white wines with that much character that often. Even in the summer I am a red wine drinker. So you would understand my frustration this time of year. Early summer is Rose' season. Everywhere you look someone is trying to push some Rose' wine on you. "It's light and refreshing for summer," they always say. What if I'm not looking for light and refreshing?
Let me back up for a second. Rose' wine is where wine makers take red grapes and ferment the "grape juice" with the skins for only a short while. With red wines the skins go through the entire first fermentation process. The skins of the grape have what many call tannins which give red their mouth feel and body. Tannin is one of the reasons I love reds so much. I have to admit, I like a rough around the edges wine. Rose's have some tannin from the fermentation, but usually not enough for my taste. I used to feel like every rose' I tasted had a soar aftertaste. So this is why I hated them.
But then last year I met a beautiful Malbec Rose'. It changed my life! Okay, not my life, but my ideas about Rose's. It had way more flavor than the other Rose's I had tried. Plus it tasted like strawberries, yumm!. Then two months ago I tasted "Three Rivers Rose' Blend." It was peppery and had hinted of black cherry. It was like, ( dare I say it ) refreshing summertime wine! I know the weather in Seattle sucks right now. Mark Twain once said " The worst winter I ever spent was a summer in Seattle." But forget the weather and come drink some tasty Rose' at Faire! We have a selection for you to taste from fruity to earthy. Tell us what you think about Rose's too. If you like them, I'll keep them all summer, if not, well they won't last long!

No comments: